Hey all! Working on a project about Queen at Live Aid and wanted to cull some information from the hive mind. Any out-of-the-ordinary information/photos/links you can send me would be useful.
- We know from photos that of the Queen crew, Peter Hince, Trip, Chris Taylor, and Spike were present backstage for the event. From the band members' personal lives, Peter Freestone, Jim Hutton, and Dominique Taylor were there too. Anyone else I'm missing? Mary Austin, or any of Freddie's gang of lads? Brian and John's families? Who am I failing to identify in these photos?
- We know Freddie's parents watched at home. For those of the gang who weren't there in person, are there any interviews/anecdotes about where they watched the performance?
- There aren't a lot of photos available of Queen backstage. We know Freddie had encounters with Elton John, David Bowie, and famously Bono, Midge Ure, and Rick Parfitt, and supposedly shoved his tongue down the throat of a photographer. Are there any other lesser-known anecdotes about Queen or Freddie backstage in print/audio/video interview? I see Adam Ant in a photo up there.
* link (John & Sting)
* link (Post-attack Roger, Freddie, and Rick)
* link (Freddie & David)
* link (Freddie, David, Kevin Armstrong)
* link (Freddie and Elton)
* link (Freddie, Elton, Wayne Sleep)
- Brian and Roger and Chris (but not John and Freddie?) sat with Geldof and Bowie behind Charles and Diana, and are in almost all photo ops of the royal pair at the event. Have Brian and Roger talked about this in any interviews that are available? Where were John and Freddie?
- Are they waiting to get their photos taken? What's going on here?
Joe Fannelli is standing behind Adam Ant in your attachment (with hands folded) and opposite Adam is Mark Ellen who was a writer on Smash Hits (also launched Q and Mojo magazines) but who was one of the TV presenters on the day (he was also one of the later presenters on the Beeb's Whistle test after Bob Harris left). In the photo which shows a line up of the artists, they are waiting to meet Diana and Charles. The woman in the red dress is a close friend of mine - so great to see that!
From all of us, 'thank you' for posting pix that some (most/all) of us have never seen before.
Could you be so kind and write a description for each one, listing the people in the individual pictures? I recognize some, but not all of them.
Thanks in advance.
That's one version of the anecdote, another one is recalled by Peter Hince in Days of Our Lives docu, where he states that Queen's music engineers basically threw out the local crew and said "Queen will be loud".
Thanks to those who provided the pix, and planetgurl for the responses. I should have asked my wife first, since she recognized all except for Julie Nash.
Wish I had some unique story to tell about it. I was simply watching from across the pond, listening through the stereo on a simulcast. And like any American Queen fans, cussing at MTV at the end as they showed the veejays talking about 'something' at JFK, while the viewers could see and hear the band still performing on the stadium viewscreens in the background....until they FINALLY switched back to the London feed.
Looking forward to the end result of this project.