*** NOTE ***
The "Unusual Collection" became the "Unusual Anthology". Please go to link for the updated volume. Thanks!
At last! This project took longer than I care to admit, but creating it was a lot of fun! (And some frustration too!)
Today, I'm introducing the first of five(!) thematic volumes. My plan is to share a new one every night (European time) of this week.
Today's upload is "The Unusual Performances" (version 1.0). This volume contains songs or recognizable fragments of works performed before their official release (with musical and lyrical differences), as well as other unique performances. TRACKLIST Updated tracklist here
Now, every volume follows a set of unique rules, exceptions and requests. This is the reference guideline for "The Unusual Performances": COLLABORATIVE GUIDELINE - THE UNUSUAL PERFORMANCES
This is an open project for all Queen fans. Should you wish to help me modify and improve my collection for everyone to enjoy, please observe the following ideas: RULES:
- Unreleased songs (only applies to "Hangman")
- Songs that predate their official release (first time/early live performances)
- Non-Queen songs written by Queen members and/or significantly different versions
- No covers (songs by other artists) EXCEPTIONS:
- Queen-only songs performed three times or less. This would include "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke" and "Sleeping On The Sidewalk", but I don't want to fill this volume with recent-ish official releases.
- Collaborations are fine (track 19), as long as they're not the focus. This is why I haven't included "Amandla" from the same gig.
- Bonus tracks don't have to be fully compliant with the rules. The "fun" factor prevails. REQUESTS:
- Any other recording that follows the rules.
- Higher quality and/or lossless sources for current files and future additions.
In my opinion, this first volume is the weakest of the bunch (unless you're really into live performances over studio recordings) considering that I’m not the most experienced fan in terms of live stuff, which is why it's the shortest one too.
That's all for today! See you tomorrow with Volume 2: "The Unusual Versions"! *** NOTE ***
Please go to link for the updated volume. Thanks!
DISCLAIMER: I am aware of the number of tracks that are/were officially available. There will be nothing too recent in this collection that isn't freely and easily available today (through official channels or otherwise, difference being these are downloads rather than streams). Other fans in this site have shared similar status material in their own compilations, but I'll remove anything in order to comply with copyright.
Also, it is worth clarifying what I’m trying to do with my compilations: What this collection actually is:
- A project made for fun (first and foremost).
- A COLLABORATIVE project. You are welcome to discuss, improve and even complain! (Within reason) I'm fully open to remove, revise and rebuild this compilation from the ground up, for the sake of keeping it interesting. Also, please report any mistakes you find regarding dates, typos and whatnot.
- A compilation of unusual (your mileage may vary!) recordings.
- A different, more original kind of compilation than previous ones with some twists, again, for the sake of fun.
- A collection aimed at newish fans to the band, or fans who are familiar with every Queen and solo album but never really delved deep into the sea of alternative Queen versions and rarities. And fans in general, of course.
- A modest effort to restore some tracks. What this collection is NOT:
- A comprehensive, rigorous compilation of rarities.
- An "anything goes" file dump. There are rules and quality standards, however loose they may be. (This is an amateur effort!)
- Something meant to blow expert collectors away. I wish!
- A CD-friendly format. Only one, maybe two of the 1.0 versions may actually fit on a single CD, and there's no artwork provided as of today. Also, some 48 kHz tracks must be downsampled for that purpose.
- A painstaking effort to provide the absolute best of the best quality for all recordings.