|So basically, this is a thread to list and discuss all the existing Video versions of Innuendo. I will also post YouTube links (others please do so too if I missed any).
First, there is this:
It compares 4 versions of the video: the official version (as seen on Greatest Flix II), the "final promo version" (no idea where to find it), the UK version, and the "Dutch" version which is a variant of the original version with the later removed gulf war imagery.
- link - This is the "Dutch version" a.k.a. early Guld War Promo, with Dutch subtitles;
- link - Same as the above but with the intro missing and some logo appearing for a while;
- link - Another copy of same (missing intro and some logo appearing, as per above);
- link - This is the alternative version from the 2011 iTunes LP. Similar to the above but no "winds" in the intro, different end, and no subtitles; not included in the comparison video for some reason; DailyMotion link: link ;
- link - Same as above;
- link - This is the UK version, recorded from MTV Classics, though the version used in the comparison video is identical but without the MTV logo, no idea where to find that;
- link - The official version, from the Queen Official channel, in mono;
- link - This is the same as above, but in stereo, though sadly cropped to widescreen;
- link - The same as above, but in 4:3 (and, of course, stereo);
- link - The same but in even better quality.
- UK version without logo;
- Final Promo Version.
The Gulf War version is the original. The earliest seems to be the Apple iTunes LP version as it is the most different from the final version.
The Dutch version is similar, but parts of the beginnings are already starting to resemble the final version, same for the end where the "closure" with the closing doors and curtains is present (but missing from the above).
The next is the official version. The Gulf War imagery is toned down to a minimum, a lot of parts are replaced with fast-moving imagery, and the shots of the "dead baby" doll lying in ruins are all removed. Adds from imagery that looks like from the 19th century, even in the slow acoustic section where it's sepia-colored (though the moving black 3D "Innuendo" text on white is present, but as white on the sepia-colored footage). Has its own macabre image (a plane crashing and a nuclear explosion).
Then we have the "Final Promo Version". The white moving "Innuendo" text on top of the sepia footage is now gone, and only the sepia footage is present. Otherwise the difference from the official version are incredibly minor.
In the end there's the UK version. It seems to be even more watered down, replacing stuff like the plane crashing and the nuclear explosion with either footage from earlier Queen videos or fast-moving imagery. Also has different Queen imagery from the official version in parts. It seems to be a watered version of the "Final Promo Version" as it shares the sepia footage without the white moving 3D "Innuendo" text.
Now, this makes me wonder - is there a Japanese version of the video? I could imagine a Japanese version censoring the footage of the nuclear explosion, but then again maybe in Japan they simply used the original Gulf War version as the Japanese would be less sensitive to it. But who knows, I need to do more research on that.
Edit: The "Dutch version" actually seems to have even more Gulf War imagery than the 2011 iTunes LP version. At this rate it's safe to conclude we actually have 5 distinct versions of the Innuendo video, which can be categorized as follows:
1. Early version
1.1. Dutch version (Gulf War Promo)
1.2. 2011 iTunes LP version
2. Later version
2.1. VHS version (Official Version)
2.2. TV version
2.2.1. Final Promo Version
2.2.2. UK Version
Now, there's left to find all the missing links, and any other versions of the video.
One missing link found - link . Official version in 4:3 and stereo.
Yet another of the above - link . Even better quality.
This is not an official version in any way but it's still interesting - link - combined footage of the video with the 1989 demo version taped at a convention (the demo, not the footage).
link - Official version of the video with the audio replaced with the 2011 remaster (and the beginning "wind" sound gone). Not going to include it above because this combination was never officially released, but I'm putting it here because the sound quality is awesome.
|I've lost my anorak.|
|master marathon runner
|I wish I had a tenth of the free time you have.|
|Ignore them, for me it's a fascinating read. Do you plan to do a similar analysis of other Queen videos?|
|Jesus, thanks for this!
As Pittrek said, It's a fascinating read, indeed. Would like similar analysis of other videos!
|Agree with Pittrek and Bruno, it's very interesting read and I always wanted to know how many different versions were available!|
|Great thread and great analisys and work. Thank you Mr. Butler. ;)|
|First, thanks to all the compliments. I appreciate that.
Second, I forgot to mention something in my first post. More differences between the Early and Later versions. In the orchestral section ("You can be anything you want to be..."), at one point in the Later version a split screen-like effect (blending the image with a mirror image of itself) takes place, but in the Earlier version it does not. In addition, during the heavy guitar section that follows (the "electric guitar and drums flamenco" part), while the Later version has the pages of the book shown turning much faster, and then a series of hectic fast imagery of Queen and other stuff terminating with someone breaking glass amidst a lot of sparks and then a vision of the set with that drummer doll and the thing with the curtain, the Early version has the pages in the book turning much slower, so you can take a closer look to the awesome animations they did with Grandville's illustrations. And after that, the screen simply goes to that same set, but without the "breaking glass amidst a lot of sparks" scene superimposed.
Also, the Later version has two closeups of the doll's drum. One at the beginning during the intro drumroll, and one during the start of the "Through the sorrow..." slow section. The Earlier version lacks that. Instead, for the former, it just shows that doll starting to roll the drum, still viewed from the same angle as before the drumroll, and for the later, the screen moves further to the lower left and goes white.
Also, so far from what I noticed, the differences between the Dutch version and the iTunes LP version are as follows:
- The former has the intro winds with the footage of those windows (also seen in the Headlong video) just like the Later version, while the later one doesn't - however there is a slight difference from the intro seen in the Later version - in the Dutch version, shortly before the drumroll, we see a straight closeup of one of the windows, with the animated Innuendo cover artwork there, an angle never present in any variant of the Later version;
- The former has the fast guitar footage from the Breakthru video like the Later version (but without the discoloration/TV effect of the Later version), while the later just shows the camera closing in to the curtain part of the set;
- The former ends with the curtains and doors closing repeatedly, while the later just has the camera going back and back in that 1984-style cinema/TV set;
- During the part that starts with "If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky...", the former eventually shows some Gulf War footage of a guy shooting something or someone, etc., while the later replaces it with more drawn Queen members imagery.
Note that the comparison video for some reason uses an incomplete recording of the Dutch version, with essentially the entire intro missing, even though the video with the full one was upload about a year before the comparison video.
- pittrek: As for doing a similar analysis about other videos, sure I could, but thing is, from a quick glance at the other comparison videos on YouTube, most if not all other videos have at most two versions.
Though I have to admit the existence of two versions of The Miracle video piqued my interest and I'm going at least have some look into to that.
|Some great work, very nice.|
|1. Another version - Early edit. Snippets on ''Innuendo EPK''
2. You forgot - ''Innuendo'' Blue-Filtered Version link
3. "Dutch version" from youtube has fake intro & outro made by Hernán Snow (queen.snowproducciones.com.ar)
4. Official version released on ''Greatest Flix I & II Limited promo only DVD 1997'' - this best quality today
5. Final version without logo link
6. UK version without logo link
|Bullub is the man when it comes to video edits. But HOLY COW! you're right, the 2011 remaster version does feature some shots of Stonehenge, not present in the "Dutch" Version. Good find! The "Blue-Filtered Version" is actually the "Official Version", isn't it? There's just some discoloration going on, making some of the sepia-tinted shots of Freddie appear in yellow, but is this intentional or just a problem of the source tape?|
|The sepia-tinted shots of Freddie are supposed to be sepia. If they appear logo, I'd pin it down to TV-related issues, if it's from a VHS, that's already color loss there, and if the VHS was recorded from, say, TV, that's more color loss there.
Also, Bullub, thank you very much! BTW, I have that Limited promo DVD, and you're right, it's indeed the best quality I've seen. And thanks for the information about the fake intro and outro of the "Dutch version" as it is on YouTube. Also, a blue-filtered version? Well, I guess the number of different versions has just gone to 6 now.
The blue-filtered version could even be due to a bad NTSC to PAL conversion or film to PAL. I've seen something similar with the Japanese movie Ring (1998), the first European DVD of which, the "Old Tartan" release (Tartan is an UK DVD company) had a terrible deep blue tint. And this version of the Innuendo video might have suffered the same thing.
- Schmelvin: Actually, you just had me take a look at that part too, that goes "Our lives dictated by tradition...", and the Dutch and iTunes LP versions differ there too! The iTunes LP version indeed shows the stonehenge and so on which is footage not appearing in any other version of the video, while the Dutch version has Gulf War footage there.
Also, I just watched the 5:48 Dutch version YouTube (the one without stuff added by Hernan Snow), and the end indeed ends with the camera moving back and back at the TV/cinema set.
Having the intro and end cleared now, it seems to me like the Dutch version should actually have the same beginning and ending as the iTunes LP version. Therefore, IMHO, it's clear now that the Dutch version is the original, and the iTunes LP version is a modified version of it to remove some Gulf War footage.
As for the version whose snippets appear in the EPK version - the part with the doll and the drum rolling appears to be identical to the iTunes LP version, but then it shows that sequence taken from the Breakthru video but without the blue/TV filtering. Also, the beginning of the EPK shows what would later become the video sequence during the intro winds but with that straight angle of the video with the animated album cover art superimposed on it, and it lasts for some time too. I wonder where *THAT* was supposed to be used?
By the way, this is the EPK: link . DailyMotion link because it seems to have disappeared from YouTube.
|The "blue-filtered version" is exactly the one as on "Flix". But the "Innuendo" EPK shows a bit probably from a "work-in-progress" edit, with the "Breakthru" tunnel footage in the beginning not being "blue-filtered" yet.|
|- Schmelvin: This leads me to rethink my classification:
1. Early version
1.1. Dutch version (Gulf War Promo)
1.2. 2011 iTunes LP version (altered version of 1.1)
2. Work in progress version (intro is somewhere between 1 and 2)
3. Later version
3.1. VHS version (Official Version)
3.2. TV version
3.2.1. Final Promo Version
3.2.2. UK Version
I wonder if any variant of 2 or 3 exists with the Gulf War footage. That would be an interesting version to see.
Edit: Also, I edited my previous post to add more information (thank you, Schmelvin and Bullub!), and a link to the EPK.
|Sorry, but I think blue-filtered version is a different from official) Freddy in yellow color but the background in blue, as well as on the official|
|I experimented with colors, but could not get the blue background|
|The blue-filtered version is a result of a hue shift. I just shifted the hue of your screenshot slightly to the negative side in Paint Shop Pro and got the correct colors. This means the blue-filtered version must have come from a NTSC source, since the problem with the hue shifting at signal reception only affects NTSC (PAL and SECAM both avoid it by means of alternate lines). So my verdict is that it's simply the official version with a hue shift due to it coming from NTSC broadcast that suffered a hue shift.
Edit: In addition, I also observe discoloration typical of broadcast TV, as well as a luma (lightness) shift also typical of non-Japanese NTSC with has its black value at 7.5 IRE as opposed to the 0 IRE of PAL, SECAM, and Japanese NTSC. Hence why the contrast isn't as good as it should be.
Edit #2: A general addition. According to link , the Innuendo video was filmed onto 35mm film. Which means a HD version should be possible to make from the original film. I wonder if we'll ever get to see one, though.
|There are screenshots or video?
1. Early version
3. Later version
3.2. TV version
|- Bullub: 1. and 3. are just groups, not video versions per se, same for 3.2.|
master marathon runner wrote: I wish I had a tenth of the free time you have.Ditto that!
But (!) Realistically. With high speed internet, it's really only an HOUR LONG investigation at most.
If only we could analyze the split fragments of differences between editions of the body language promo video.
Maybe there's one in Freddie's private vault that features some BDSM and actual flogging.
|Here's is slightly better version of the Innuendo EPK: http://vk.com/video207045886_168397881|
|the moment with plane crash is terrifying....|
|Could someone repost the blue filtered version?|
|I have The Uk Version and The Final Promo Version I Leak It Soon|